Denim Takes The Stage For Home Furnishings
Posted on 10/13/2016 at 12:00 AM by Wendy Muench
With a salute to a more casual lifestyle, this fall our stylists are embracing denim as the new neutral. Just as jean jackets are popping up at posh events, home furnishings such as Slipcovered Sofas, bedding and rugs made of recycled denim such as Dash and Albert’s Denim Rag Woven Cotton Rug or Denim Plaid Cotton Woven Rug are adding simplicity and warmth to even contemporary settings. Long admired for its sturdy construction and time worn charm, denim is the perfect fabric for today’s lifestyles.
According to Wikipedia: “Denim is a sturdy cotton warp-faced textile in which the weft passes under two or more warp threads. This twill weaving produces a diagonal ribbing that distinguishes it from cotton duck. The most common denim is indigo denim, in which the warp thread is dyed, while the weft thread is left white.”
Along with denim, its cousin, cotton duck and outdoor fabrics such as Sunbrella’s Sailcloth Salt in white make slipcovered upholstery that not only make a statement, but are durable, beautiful, stylish and easy to clean.
To complete the look:
- Add rustic items such as reclaimed wood walls, floors or ceilings, which look more beautiful with use.
- Add old nautical, rural, antique or industrial accents such as shells, books, trunks, factory carts, pulleys and found objects.
- Add pure white or denim walls, such as Sherwin Williams SW 6523 Denim.
- Add paisley indigo and white bedding, like Pine Cone Hill’s Annette, throw a denim rug on the floor and you have a fresh Bohemian look.
- Add in woven denim throw pillow like the Denim Rag Pillow from Fresh American.
- Sit back and relax.